Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hot in San Antonio

Well I made it down to Texas last weekend and will be here for two more weeks. I'm in San Antonio helping a friend and her family who recently welcomed baby #2, much to the chagrin of their 2 1/2 year old daughter. Essentially I am her playmate while mommy and daddy settle in with their recent addition to the family.

The only sewing I am doing while I am here is making a couple of cushions. The store where they bought their sofa wanted $100 for an extra two sofa cushions!! The cushions that came with their small loveseat wasn't even professionally finished on the inside, I couldn't believe they'd try to milk as much as $100 for more of that low-end workmanship. Fortunately my friend was able to buy about 1.25 yards of the upholstery fabric. I'm more than happy to whip something up for them, any reason to use a sewing machine while I am away from mine makes me happy!

Since I didn't bring my sewing stuff with me I have been knitting when I have a free moment. I finished the first sock for DH when I was on the road. It looks pretty good if I do say so myself. I usually am a risk taker and was going to finish the toe with the darker yarn. The skein was looking kind of small for sock #2 and I chickened out the last minute and decided to make the tip with another skein. It's nice that I know my anal retentive self well enough to ward off problems now instead of completely calling the project a bust at the very end. I'm in the midst of knitting sock #1 for the MIL before I return to the other pair for hubby. I really need to learn how to knit two socks at a time.... It has been pretty fun though. I hope he likes them!



1 comment: